Transformation Begins Here
Every student has their own educational journey. Create your path at NOVA Middle School.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.
NOVA Middle School, an independent school serving highly capable/gifted learners, is searching for an experienced counselor. NOVA emphasizes strong social and emotional development along with a rigorous and engaging academic program. The successful candidate for this part time position will have abundant energy and openness, a steady demeanor, experience with middle school students, value a strong collaborative team approach, be knowledgeable about the development of gifted/highly capable learners and have experience supporting students with Asperger’s and other twice exceptionalities (2E).
Summary: Consistent with the mission and values of NOVA Middle School, responsible for providing support, guidance and education to optimize the academic, social, emotional, and personal development of NOVA students and their families as well as support for faculty and staff enabling them to better serve the students and their families.
1. Promote student wellness and resilience by reinforcing communication and social skills, problem solving, anger management, self-regulation, self-determination, and optimism through both group and individual work with students.
2. Provide teachers with training and support to implement and assess the effectiveness of interventions.
3. Initiate interviews and other interactions sufficient to establish a meaningful relationship with each student.
4. Provide counseling, instruction, and mentoring for those struggling with organization skills and social, emotional, and behavioral challenges.
5. Model, teach and encourage open communication and proactive conflict management and resolution.
6. Participate effectively as part of a multidisciplinary and collaborative team of faculty and staff in creating and maintaining a caring, engaged community of support for highly capable/gifted adolescents.
7. Assist in promoting healthy and respectful classrooms and school culture.
8. Provide education and support to parents.
9. Make referrals for counseling and other services where appropriate.
10. Enhance understanding and acceptance of diverse cultures and backgrounds.
11. Remain current and share with the faculty and staff the resources, development and research in giftedness, adolescent brain and social and emotional development.
12. Maintain thorough and accurate records of interactions with students and coaching with faculty and staff.
13. Maintain professional levels of confidentiality.
Qualifications: Minimum MA or MSW in counseling, psychology or related field; school counseling experience is preferred; minimum 2 years of experience counseling/working with gifted/highly capable adolescents; knowledge of evaluation and identification tools for gifted learners; knowledge of and experience with twice exceptional learners; school-based experience with middle school age learners preferred.
This is a part time position. The successful candidate will be an independent contractor engaged for 12-15 hours per week. There is some flexibility with hours however Tuesday from 2:30 – 5:00 is required and Wednesday and Friday mornings are optimal.
To apply: Submit letter of interest and resume to email@example.com.
NOVA Middle School is building a list of experienced substitute teachers. If you have high energy, can think on your feet, are flexible in your teaching practice, have a sense of humor and a passion for teaching middle school kids, you are encouraged to send a cover letter describing your motivation for teaching, your specialty content areas, and your availability, along with a current resume, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our pay is competitive, it’s an engaging atmosphere in which to work, and our teachers leave well-developed plans for your time. Experience with highly capable students is an asset.
"The NOVA School Association believes that every person has the right to educational and workplace surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is the NOVA School Association’s policy that no person will be subjected to unlawful discrimination based on race, color, gender, religion, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability, or any other basis prohibited by law. NOVA School’s non-discrimination policy applies to all facets of its administration."